28 July, 2007

July Beading


Here is my unofficial piece for July for the Bead Journal Project. I was in Hong Kong for 2 weeks during the month of July. While I was there I noticed that it looked much greener than it had in previous visits (I lived in Hong Kong from 1982-1992 & as my husband still works there, I make frequent trips back). Because I felt things were green, I chose a green fabric. On this last trip I was also able to see the mountains clearly on a couple of days. This is a rare occasion now because of the amount of pollution in Hong Kong.

I chose things that meant something to me. The frog stands for a friend of mine who is Hong Kong who loves frogs. The Pacific Coffee stopper with the red beads is my absolute favourite coffee & their stores are always boardered by red & black designs. The mask is from the Shu Bruial grounds exhibit that I saw. My daughter was also working at a place called Ocean Park as a volunteer. Her last couple of days were spent observing the brand new panda cubs, hence the pandas.

I am still learning how to work with bead embroidery so my pieces are not perfect but they are getting there. I have a couple of other pieces that I've already started.


6 comments:

Robin said...

OH MY GOSH!!!! You rock, Cindy, and so does your bead embroidery!!!!! My heart pounds with pride in your work and in your quick grasp of all that bead embroidery means to me!!!! Nice touch that your two pieces are related by the similar border treatment! Good idea!

Robin

Robin said...

Oh, yes, and I forgot to mention how much I like your new blog! R

Quilter Kathy said...

This is a wonderful piece Cindy!
You have included so many souvenirs of your trip! Maybe your series will be a travel summary???
Beautiful! I have bookmarked your site to come back to visit.

girlgonethreadwild said...

Love the pictorial story your bead page portrays, thanks for sharing your journey ... I am learning so much from watching the very talented bead artists out there. What a beautiful page!

GraceBeading said...

Your beading is wonderful - I'm only sorry it's taken me this long to find your blog - what a treasure!

KV said...

Gorgeous beading and love your mementos, too.


Kathy V in NM